Saturday, August 13, 2011

First Day of School

I have seen a lot of posts on Facebook with people worried about their kids and missing them on their first day of school. There are even a few people crying right along with their kids. That used to be me once but not anymore. Don't get me wrong, I love my kids but I was so glad to drop them off at school last week.

-One reason is that I work Sunday nights and staying up all day on Mondays to watch my kids gets old quite quickly. Yes, this picture is of me.



-The second reason is that my house is a wreck. My kids are the messiest people on the face of the earth. Sometimes I will walk into a room and think "What happened in here?!" or "I don't even know what that is hanging from the ceiling fan." Picture of my house.


- The third reason I am glad they are back at school is that I am awful at teaching them anything. I bought this 1st grade workbook for Macey at the beginning of summer. I counted out the 200 pages and divided that by 8 weeks. I had a plan to cover so many pages a day and by the end of summer we were going to ready for 1st grade!!! Well, don't judge me but we completed about a third of the book before I gave up. At one point, during my "teaching" her that vowels had long and short sounds, I was poking at the cute cartoon drawings on the worksheet of April the Ape and Anna the Alligator with such force that my finger almost went through April the Ape's head. I had explained the different vowel sounds at least 20 different ways and had resorted to semi-screaming as if my child were deaf not just confused. I decided that I needed to stop before I shattered her love of learning in one summer. I am glad my Macey is back in school because I know someone at that wonderful establishment has the magic words to help her understand (without the need for cartoon animal beheading).

-The last and final reason I am glad they are back in school is that I LOVE their school, it has the best teachers and therapists! Chase has been there since the age of 3 with Autism therapy and I am nearly brought to tears every time I think of all the help and love he has received. Macey is doing very well there too. I know they are in good hands.


So don't judge me the next time you see me racing out of the school parking lot. I got my reasons.


No comments:

Post a Comment