Sunday, July 24, 2011

The Golf Cart Ran into the Tree

We have been talking a while about camping and decided that it was now or never, since summer is rapidly passing us by. My friend Heather was very gracious to lend us her tent after I posted on Facebook begging for one.  We packed up the truck for two days of camping. You wouldn't think we would need that much for two days of camping but apparently you do. Here is the back of our Suburban:



So off we go to Yogi Bear Campgrounds in Pelahatchie and were surprised to learn that it isn't that far away, only about 70 miles. So we were there in no time. We checked in and I set up the tent and Charles built a fire. We unpacked the truck and I straightened and organized all the stuff.



Then we promptly made smores because that seemed like a campy thing to do.





They were very good, I think we ate a whole bag of marshmallows in one sitting. We then went swimming. Now, this place has an awesome little water park.


The kids loved this and I had to admit it was pretty awesome. After a couple hours of this we went back to the tent and I straightened and organized some more stuff. Come to think of it, I spent half the trip straightening and organizing stuff.
Then this guy drives into our site. He tells us that he has to leave early and they won't refund his money on the golf cart he rented for the next three days. He hands Charles the keys and tells us to turn it back in when we leave. What?! Heck yes! These golf carts are $50 a day to rent and we just got one for the next two days for free! I didn't even need a coupon!
 A friend at work told me they have geese at this campground that you can feed. I brought all of our old bread, crackers, and croutons out of the cabinets at home just in case. So we hop in our new golf cart and go riding around looking for them. They were easy to find.



The kids had a blast feeding them. I had to go over some geese feeding rules with Chase though. As soon as I stopped the cart he jumped off and barreled after them. They didn't seem to like that so much. Then he wouldn't feed them the bread I gave him. He just held it in his hand so the geese had to semi attack him to get the bread.

 
Here we are cornered on the pier. We should have thought out our exit strategy a little better for when the bread ran out. We saw Yogi and Boo-Boo but the kids wanted nothing to do with them.



They didn't seem to mind this Yogi though:



Did I mention our camp site was right next to the bathroom and showers? They were very nice! It was very convenient for when you have to pee at 3 in the morning. Chase didn't seem to need them though, we frequently caught him peeing in the woods. I guess peeing in the woods would be fun if you are a boy. Here is a picture of how close the bathrooms were.



We found out there is electric hook-ups, water, fire ring with grill, and picnic table at every site. Get this, there was even wi-fi! So does it still count as roughing-it with all that? So anyway, night came and we were all excited because we were sleeping in a tent. Let me tell you this, it was miserable. We had brought these cushions to put together to make a bed and they were not comfortable.....at all. The kids wouldn't go to bed probably because they were hyped up on 2 pounds of marshmallows. I think Chase finally went to bed at 1 in the morning. The tent kept the bugs out though....thank goodness.

The next day after much deliberation about our lack of sleep, we decided to stay the whole two days as planned. I took the kids swimming again while Charles took a nap. Then he and Chase got us some take-out at a local restaraunt while Macey and I took a nap. It was the best nap ever, the rain was falling on the tent and we slept like the dead. The tent kept us dry.

Later, Macey and I played candy bar bingo at the activity center because it was "Everything Chocolate" themed weekend. She won the first two games right away! It was crazy how lucky she was out of a room of 20 something people. The rest of the time we swam and rode in the free golf cart. 

 We really had a good time. There were only a few mishaps. Chase was sitting in the golfcart and accidently pushed the parking brake off. The cart slowly rolled down the hill into a tree. Poor Chase was screaming "Help, Help!" and something about needing a key. I yelled at my husband to help him and then yelled at Chase for playing around on the golf cart. In the end, nobody was hurt and the cart was fine. The whole thing was quite hilarious after it was over. The people across the road were watching the whole time. I am sure they got an eyeful. Here is Chase sitting on the cart later:



It rained half the time so there was mud everywhere but it wasn't hot. There did seem to be a lot of ants and something got into our garbage bag in the middle of the night. Also, the tent was set up on a sand platform so there was sand everywhere (in the tent, on our clothes, and I am still finding sand in my scalp.) The kids played in it constantly. Don't worry Heather, we cleaned up the tent when we got home. I think next time we will rent a cabin.

Overall, it was worth it. The kids had a blast and we made a lot of memories. 

No comments:

Post a Comment