Let me start by saying I have a three bedroom house. My husband and I have a room, Macey has her own room, and Chase has his own room. This is Macey's room. My husband and I spent a lot of time painting it those three different colors and she even has two beds to choose from.
She has never slept in here. She claims she is too scared to sleep alone. So we bought a bunk-bed to put in Chase's room. This is a nice bunk-bed, those are double size beds you are looking at there. We even let them pick out their own comforter sets.So PLEASE explain to me why I still wake up to this every morning!
That is my bed you are looking at there. These children are 7 and 9 years old! I have no clue as to how to get them to stay in their own beds, they start out there but somehow get lost and end up in bed with us. Don't judge me but I have no clue what I am doing. It wouldn't be so bad except they are getting big and do not sleep up and down like normal people. They are all over the place! My husband usually ends up on the couch and there have been times that I have slept on that bunk bed.
So I decided that it was time to speak with Macey about this, maybe figure out what is going on in her little head. So on our walk this afternnon we had a serious discussion.
I explained to her in a very calm and motherly voice that she was 7 years old. She is a big girl now and about to enter the first grade. Everyone in our family needs to sleep well so we can be happy and healthy. I went on to explain that mommy and daddy are not sleeping well with two big kids in their bed. We need them to sleep in their own beds.
Me: "Macey do you understand everything I just said."
Macey: "Yes."
Me: "What can I do for you to help you stay in your own bed?"
Macey: "Look! There is the alligator poop pond!" (looking at the green pond)
Me: (very exasperated and pleading tone, losing it a little) "Macey! I need you to focus! Why won't you stay in your own bed?! What do I need to do?!"
Macey: (a little alarmed at my raised voice) "I don't know momma, I got no directions!"
I decided to end the conversation right there.
As a newborn nurse, I sometimes come across that parent that confesses that she has no idea what she is doing. I tell her that as long as she keeps the baby fed, clean, warm, and loved she will be fine. I need to start adding that whatever she does, don't let that baby sleep in your bed!
1 comment:
Don't you wish she had come with directions?!
Post a Comment